Thursday, February 07, 2008

KOHLRABI

First up on my vegetable adventures: KOHLRABI.
Kohlrabi is a member of the cabbage family of vegetables. It came whole and attached to thick long stalks of leaves, which you can eat but I didn't try.
It has a crunch similar to that of broccoli stalks. My friend says it tastes like jicama. I happen to dislike jicama. I guess because it looks grainy and kind of like a pear, only gross tasting. Okay I only tried it once at a tennis match and there was a vegetable platter and one of the vegetables was jicama and it was unfamiliar to me so I decided to dislike it. But I like kohlrabi, even though it supposedly tastes like jicama. But maybe you'll like kohlrabi too, especially if you dislike jicama.
Back to kohlrabi. You can eat it raw or cooked. Just take off the purple exterior with a vegetable peeler and cut it up. It's kind of got that stinky cabbage-y smell if you let it sit too long, but it wasn't too bad raw, accompanied with a creamy salad dressing. It's actually quite sweet and mild, no bitterness or fibers.



I also decided to try it sauteed with a little olive oil and garlic, and it ended up being equally tasty.


The cool thing about joining a CSA is that you get to taste different vegetables that you wouldn't normally buy at the supermarket. In fact, I don't even know if I've ever seen or heard of kohlrabi before encountering it in my CSA basket. So I guess that's it about this strange purpley vegetable. I hope you learned something today, kids!

No comments: